Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St Patrick's Day Cupcakes


I decided to make some cupcakes to take in to work this year for St. Patty's Day. It was my first attempt at cooking either a cake or cupcakes from scratch so I was nervous about it turning out all right. I took 12 cupcakes to work and my husband took the remaining 12. Both sets of coworkers gave great reviews and there were no cupcakes left at the end of the day. I even had another coworker bring in store-bought cupcakes and mine were all gone but she had to take nearly all her's home with her.

Here are the recipes that I used:

Black Chocolate Cake
From Allrecipes.com

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 pinch salt (I omitted this)
2/3 cup shortening
2 cups boiling water
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. (I placed cupcake liners in 24 standard size muffin cups.) Sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
2. Melt the shortening in the boiling water, then stir into the flour mixture until blended. Beat in the eggs, then stir in the vanilla.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes (25 minutes for me with the cupcakes), or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.

I then frosted them using this Buttercream recipe from Allrecipes.com.

1/2 cup margarine (I used butter)
1/2 cup shortening
1/8 tsp salt (I omitted)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5 cups confectioners' sugar (I used 3 cups and it was still very sweet).
1/4 cup milk

In a large bowl, cream margarine and shortening until light and fluffy. Add salt, vanilla, confectioners' sugar and milk. Beat well.

(I also added green food coloring since these were for St Patty's Day).

No comments:

Post a Comment