Friday, June 19, 2009

Banana Creme Pie

My Dad's birthday was June 9th and so when they came to visit us the following weekend I knew that instead of making him a birthday cake I would make his favorite dessert ever .... Grandma's Banana Creme Pie. Please forgive the mountain of meringue. I had to go and nurse my son so my Mom put the meringue in and used all of it which made a HUGE pile of meringue.

Banana Creme Pie
Source: My Grandma

1 deep dish pie crust (I use frozen store bought, prepared according to package directions)
8 Tbsp cornstarch
4 cups milk
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus 12 Tbsp for meringue
1/2 tsp salt (I omit)
6 eggs, separated
2 Tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla
2-3 sliced bananas
1/2 tsp Cream of tartar

1. Mix cornstarch and milk. Add 1 1/2 cups sugar and salt. Cook on medium heat and slowly stir.
2. When thick, add 6 egg yolks and cook 2 minutes longer. Add butter, vanilla, and combine. Then add sliced bananas. Let this mixture cool to room temperature. Place it in baked pie shell.
3. Whip 6 egg whites and add 12 Tbsp sugar, 2 Tbsp at a time mixing very well after each addition. Add 1/2 tsp cream of tartar and keep mixing until stiff peaks form. Spread over banana mixture. Brown in oven for about 10 minutes at 375F.

No comments:

Post a Comment