Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cleaning out the pantry

I'm an accountant and last week was month-end close for me. Which means, (especially now that I have a baby at home), chaos. I definitely do not have the time to go grocery shopping let alone prepare fabulous home-cooked meals. I work until 5, go pick up my son, and then immediately get back online and work from home until my boss says everyone is leaving for the night, usually between 8 and 9pm.

I do try and make things quick so we can eat something other than sandwiches or Papa John's pizza. Last Thursday I decided to see what I could make quickly and based on using items out of our pantry. Below is what I came up with.

Here are the items I ended up using:


And I made this:


It may not look appealing, and I can't say it was the best thing I've ever made but it was edible and my husband even enjoyed it. On the positive side it was very quick and easy to make.

Pantry Cleanout Casserole

1 can of chicken
1 can cream of whatever (I used cream of mushroom with roasted garlic)
1 can veggies, drained (I used peas and carrots)
1 package of instant mashed potatoes (I used cheddar and garlic flavored)
Shredded cheese (I used monterey jack)

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Make potatoes according to package directions.
3. Combine chicken, soup, and veggies in a casserole dish. Mix in shredded cheese, if desired.
4. Top with prepared mashed potatoes.
5. Top that with shredded cheese.
6. Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through.


That's it, like I said there's really nothing to it. Not the best food you'll ever eat but quick and easy on those busy nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment