Friday, April 17, 2009

Buttermilk Banana Blueberry Muffins

I had leftover buttermilk from the Italian Cream cake and blueberries from the Easter fruit salad that wasn't (I completely forgot) so I decided to make some muffins.

I based my recipe on one found at Recipezaar which came from Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Healthful Cooking. I omitted the nuts and added blueberries. The original recipe said it would make 12 muffins. However since I added the blueberries to the batter I ended up getting 15 muffins out of it.

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup mashed ripe banana (I used 2 medium)
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 container blueberries


1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Spray 12 regular muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray.
3. In a large bowl mix together flours, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
4. In separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, banana, oil, egg, and vanilla.
5. Pour wet ingredients over dry and stir until blended.
6. Add blueberries to the batter and incorporate throughout.
7. Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling 3/4 full.
8. Bake until lightly brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 15-20 minutes.
9. Allow to cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.

I thought these were good but there was not enough banana flavor for me. I think next time I make these I will add another mashed banana to the batter to increase that flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment