Sunday, April 12, 2009

Creamy Mac & Cheese

This was a complete Julie's original. I did look through a bunch of mac & cheese recipes online for inspiration but made this up on my own.

Creamy Mac & Cheese

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
4 Tbsp butter
1 cup whole milk
1 1-inch thick slice from velveeta loaf
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Breadcrumbs

Cook pasta to al dente, about 5 minutes. Since you are baking this you don't want the noodles fully cooked. Drain pasta. In same pot melt butter and cheeses. Add in milk. Then sprinkle in nutmeg and mustard and thoroughly combine. Add drained pasta back to pot and be sure to fully coat noodles with sauce. Pour mixture into baking dish. (I used a 9x13 glass dish, but thought the layer was too small. Next time I'll use a 9x9 or a casserole dish.) Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top. Bake in preheated 350F oven for 30 minutes.

This was both Greg's and my favorite part of the Easter spread this year. I will definitely be making this again.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment