Friday, April 17, 2009

Italian Cream Cake

Yesterday was one of my Karen's (one of my coworkers) Birthday. So I made her an Italian Cream Cake. Whenever the deli in our building has this cake for sale she has to stop in and get a piece so I knew I needed to find a recipe and make it for her. Now I had never had one of these cakes but once I saw the ingredients I knew it had to be delicious. Everyone said how great this cake turned out and Karen said it was much more delicious than the one the deli made. It was very moist as well.

Italian Cream Cake
Adapted from allrecipes.com

1 cup butter
5 egg yolks
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour
5 egg whites
2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup flaked coconut

1. Cream together butter, egg yolks, and sugar. Alternately mix in flour and buttermilk. Add baking soda and mix in nuts and coconut.
2. Beat egg whites and fold into batter. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
3. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in preheated 350F oven.

Cream Cheese Frosting

2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
1 cup butter
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients and spread onto cooled cake. Top iced cake with additional chopped pecans.

No comments:

Post a Comment