Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Cooking for Carson - Homemade Baby Oatmeal Cereal

Carson had his 4 month appointment yesterday and at it our doctor suggested starting him on cereal. My goal is to make as much of his babyfood at home as possible so that I know exactly what is going into his system. I have found some great recipes at Wholesome Baby Food.

I had old fashioned oats in our pantry so I ground about a cup or so in the food processor until they resembled a powder.



Then I cooked 1/4 cup of the powder and cooked it in 1 cup of boiling water, whisking to remove as many clumps as possible. I took 1 Tbsp of cooked oats and mixed it with about 2 Tbsp of pumped breastmilk and voila. Homemade babyfood.




The problem was that Carson still hasn't quite figured out the whole swallowing thing, plus it is still thicker than store bought oatmeal cereal so I will stick with the store stuff until he is better at eating from a spoon and then give him the thicker stuff again.

No comments:

Post a Comment