Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Little Cheddar Meat Loaves

I honestly couldn't tell you where I got this recipe but right before my son was born my Mom and I had an all day cooking session where we made freezer friendly food to use after we came back from the hospital. This was one of those freezer friendly meals that we just got around to trying.

Little Cheddar Meat Loaves

1 egg
¾ cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup quick-cooking oats
½ cup chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1 lb lean ground beef
2/3 cup ketchup
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 ½ tsp prepared mustard

In a bowl, beat the egg and milk. Stir in cheese, oats, onion, and salt. Add beef and mix well. Shape into eight loaves; place in a greased baking dish. Combine ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard; spoon over loaves. Bake, uncovered at 350F for 45 minutes.

NOTE: This recipe freezes great before baking (without the sauce on top, just make the sauce after you defrost the loaves). It also doubles really well.


I did what the NOTE part said and froze it uncooked without the sauce, then thawed it and prepared the sauce to put on top. Actually my husband technically did that part since I was feeding the baby.

They were really good even though they had been frozen for 4 months. We served them with Four Cheese Mashed Potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment